Monday, September 22, 2008

1281 : No Promises

( Note: the following content includes some sexual references which might be inappropriate for children, persons below the age of 18, sissies of all ages, virgins upto the age of 30 (average indian man?) etc. Read at your own discretion)

According to this law, if you promise to marry someone, have sex with them, and later not marry them, then you can be charged with rape even if the sex was consensual (only in India ofcourse). Since I am a law-abiding citizen, this implies that if I am indeed considering having sex with someone before marriage, to be legally clear, I should atleast get a written consent that I did not promise marriage on a future date in return for intercourse ( As much as i would love the romaticism of not being legally safe, considering India is one of the gayest places in the world, I really don't want to get raped in prison). How can we as a nation be so stupid.

Inherently the law implies
1. Sex is bad, consensual or otherwise.
2. A woman will have sex with someone before marriage only if the guy promises to marry her, or additionally women are stupid enough to have sex with someone just because the guy gives her a verbal security of marriage.
3. Women are weak and thereby need protection under such law even if they have had consensual sex.

And ofcourse, the punishment under such circumstances is 7 years i think. I really think the feminists should address this issue which so clearly marginalizes them as a weaker and stupid sex. On a connected note, I think working towards the elimination of separate sports events for women should be another step in their fight for equality. I guess men will learn a lesson when women are able to beat guys/ equal them in each and every field ( ok maybe not tomorrow, but one day .. even if current athletic records show a wide gap, I am quite hopeful that at least in a few games maybe women will be the record holders rather than men.. I hope i get a few feminist friends thanks to this :P) I wonder whether we should have a similar law for the protection of men : I mean shouldnt there be some sort of legal fine if your girlfriend elopes and marries someone else. Just to clarify to my future feminist friends, who might read this, I am obviously not implying that women are not capable of luring men into having sex with them using the aforementioned method of promise of marriage, and in pure equality , there should also be a law protecting men from such powerful women.

I think India gives a completely new meaning to pre-nuptial agreement or should it be pre-coital agreement.

On another note, Kerala a.k.a Malluland is a weird place indeed. Lesbianism and problems faced by homosexuals come up at 9.00 o clock on major mallu channels. There are programs about husbands being abused and tortured by there wives and to top it all, there was an article about Cybelianism in the Matrimonial section of Sunday Special this week ( :P just to be clear, I wasn't reading the matrimonial section) For the uninitiated, Cybelianism is a religious "faith" which proclaims the power of women (to the extent that the wife is expected to piss on the husband ( in his mouth in particular) everyday among other examples of various BDSM related practises). I felt odd even writing this here. But I feel my ethical publishing responsibility should only be reflective of the esteemed newspapers of the country . Talk about sexual liberation.

--

The Fall by Tarsem Singh

I was truly blown away by this awesome movie. In addition to having an amazing (children?) story, Baraka-esque scenography, and lots of Indian locations, Catinca Untaru has made me speechless for quite sometime when it comes to acting. I had never heard of Tarsem Singh before, eventhough I had seen The Cell in 2002, which was probably impressive cinematographically, but not really a kick-ass so to speak.


It was so good , I started watching it again even before it finished the first time (ok. I know that sounds weird) and then once more with my family. I wonder how a 10 year old kid can pull this off . Eventhough there are people who graduate in physics by that time these days, this must surely be much harder. How do you make a ten year old kid act "acting as innocent"? I haven't seen the Piano, so not sure about Anna Paquin.

Life is going as per "plan": working on further development of my thesis, going to gym with my dad in the morning (purely out of good intentions concerning his diabetes rather than my tummy :P), reading mostly irrelevant stuff which has had the success of getting published and ofcourse awesome sleep and food.

--

Still using pymol, thanks to Branden and Tooze (almost near ending beta structures) . Started Kandel's Principles of Neural Science ( Part 1 over) As a result dabbled with fsl a bit. Maybe bioimage suite and slicer would be more interesting. Only thing progressing at a good speed seems to be Let's Learn Japanese series. Kicad still stuck at the last exercise. Sparkfun has shipped my arduino. Hopefully it reaches in a week. Started a few Cambridge Companions ( Wittgenstein, Foucalt etc.) but don't think they would go much further. Doing Irodov again feels so easy - easy enough to make me wonder how it could have been so challenging a few years back. I guess kgp was not really as brain-dampening as people claim it to be or maybe growing up has its side-effects.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

interessant :)

DT said...

peut-être, mais certainement pas important.

what's with kgpians and french. I find french more funny than sophisticated especially words like portable, peut-être etc. :)

France is an awesome place ofcourse and French are awesome people :D

Anonymous said...

i watched the movie last week and loved it. Tarsem wanted to go much darker than the film did, but little Catinca would not let him. So you've got the character of Alexandria dictating the story to Roy in the film, and the actress Catinca dictating the story to Tarsem on the other side of the lens. Its an interesting revelation.

DT said...

@neha,

I could agree more :P. I mean, I think a significant amount of credit goes to Tarsem as compared to Catinca. There is no question of Catinca letting Tarsem do or not do anything. The innocence of a kid has hardly anything to do with the process of making a film dark i guess and if it does it only aggravates the darkness in a sense. Consider the black humour of Little Miss Sunshine for instance.

The script clearly had the ending in mind, considering a similar movie earlier. And besides Cell also had a "happy" ending. So I really wonder whether Tarsem wanted to make it dark. I believe Tarsem has done an amazing job of story telling much similar to Amelie or a Very Long Engagement.

I honestly cannot see Untaru dictating anything to Tarsem. But then again, facts could be very contrary to my perception.

the guy who typed this. said...

1.(( Note: the following...pre-coital agreement.)
Another excuse for prolonging virginity...
2.(On another note, Kerala...sexual liberation.)
W...T...F?
3.(I was truly blown away by...Anna Paquin.)
Hmm, I saw 'The Cell' myself, and I agree that it was not all that kick ass... good way of delving into someone's brain though, but thats about it. Will watch out for 'The Fall' after the mid sems :)
4.(Life is going as per...sleep and food)
:)
5.(Still using...side-effects)
Damn, even my juniors have Neurophysiology as one of their core courses...I however, just was adamant enough to read up on nerve cell signalling despite having a 'secondary metabolism' exam today :P talk about a good night-out with bad timing

Anonymous said...

i say this because i read the comments on this movie by a guy who happens to be a friend of Tarsem and was told so by him. not my figment of imagination, this. :)

dark doesn't mean a dark ending. she probably wanted a lighter flavor throughout or at certain places. ( although i am still reminded of the scene where Odious had hung 7 dead people on the chandelier)
and frankly why do we even doubt the girl and plainly reject such a possibility. and I never said Tarsem doesn't deserve the credit. His work is briliant.

DT said...

@the guy who typed this

prolonging virginity :O ? somehow sounds really weird.

secondary metabolism is no less interesting :P
but indeed nerve cells is SOMETHING indeed.. With so much differentiation within a basic typology and at the same time functioning with potentials themselves controlled by ion flow which depend on stretching of molecular structures.. seems like each cell is indeed a "coincidence" of a million ingenuities.

I am trying to concentrate on gene expression and inherited neurological diseases. Broca's & Wernicker's areas and corresponding study is no less interesting I suppose. trying to strike a balance between anatomy and behaviour to an extent.

I really look forward to the days when we would be able to completely replicate brain function or atleast most of the signalling pathways. I would really love some physical circuits which are able to modify connections depending on the state of the system.

I had no idea exams were going on.. :D Best of luck

@neha

:D which is precisely what i meant by facts could be contrary to my perception :P I would love to read the article if you have the link.

is there even something called a "dark ending" ? I mean i always thought of films as dark , but i am completely unaware of ending classification. ( Consider my example of Little Miss Sunshine :D It had a happy? ending right :D )

The point which i was trying to make and which is still feel is very correct is the fact that The Fall is an amazing movie more due to the way the story has been told by Tarsem as opposed to Catinca. Similarly for example I am a GREAT fan of Audrey Tautou, primarily due to Amelie. But I believe Amelie is an amazing movie because of Jeunet. So for instance saying that Audrey Tautou made Jeunet make Amelie more "joi-de-vivre"-ific would be weird. Similarly, I am a great fan of Catinca. But I very much believe it is unlikely that she had a significant amount of influence on how the story was told. I am sure they were considerations and discussions about what was feasible and not and I guess making a movie must always be so much of an adjustment.


And I don't see much of a correlation between violence and "darkness" of a movie.. Most violent movies are pretty funny for instance.. And there is significant amount of blood and violence in the story inside the movie as is common with children's stories ( the chandelier as u mentioned. the pool of blood rising up the cloth, smashing of the mystic's teeth, death by arrows, the death of Odious and so on) which does not add any sense of darkness to The Fall. The point is I do not see any instance of Tarsem's attempts at making the movie dark at all. From start to end all the scenes in the hospital is mostly about a child's view into the world and I can't recollect any dark moments in it. Even the scene in which Alexandria wets herself in fear brings out more sympathy rather than a cynic contemplation of the state of affairs. But then again considering the fact that you have read articles contradicting the same, as I mentioned facts could be very contrary to my perception :)

The only thing which would really make me believe that, would be the following statement from Tarsem's mouth ( or published :D)" I wanted to make the movie dark, but couldn't due to Untaru"

ps: Not at all do i believe that it would be impossible for a small child to influence how a movie is made. I just can't see it in this case :D

Anonymous said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/usercomments?start=10
VoodooKlown's


:D i guess the word "dictate" made the whole situation seem so impossible. As in how can she "direct" him to do what she wanted and be behind the scenes of such brilliance that is the movie. But i can at least imagine a 10 year old childishly requesting for changes because something didn't please the kid's heart. After all she did make Roy change the climax of the story because she couldn't see the hero dying and losing. May be like that.
But of course The only thing which would really make me believe otherwise, would be the this statement from Tarsem's mouth ( or published :D)" Untaru didn't make me go her way, ever, at all, in the movie."

DT said...

@ mrs. b

:D :D if your + Voodooklown's interpretation of the word dictate is the antonym of "didn't make me go her way, ever, at all" yep, I concur :D Catinca Untaru dictated the story to Tarsem :D

So basically your suggestion is there must have been about 10 ( or 20 ?) events which Untaru changed (of the 200 or so in a 100 something scene movie ?) which could be called as "dictating" ? :D If it is meant in the sense that there were some instances which was definitely affected by the playfulness of the kid, I would completely agree.. But dictatorship is beyond me anyways :D
am reasonably bored over a pointless note as I would imagine yourself to be:D

And on a connected note, Pans Labyrinth is an example of how simple it is to make a movie dark with very little? violence as well as the influence of childish innocence in aggravating the the sense of gravity.

Anonymous said...

You can add, remove, and edit any requirement depending on your customer changing business conditions.. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry ooutlet online[/url] Gravity is a ripple to the light events in the space time dimensions constructions . [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose chilliwack[/url] Dvrbiszvm
http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk Cyyrlcltf [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose online[/url] rahnyyqnd