Sunday, September 28, 2008

1273: Dedication

Dedication (2007) by  Justin Theroux.
I watched it around February probably, and keep going back to a few lines.. like "Life is a single skip for joy" or the interminable wale of grief which I used in Not. It i just a jumbled up story of a children's story book writer and an illustrator. I don't think the movie is that great at all.. except maybe a few moments.
Any ways.. these somehow struck a chord.
From



...
Lucy: I'll have a Caesar salad and a side of mashed potatoes.
Henry: Bulimia?
Lucy: No, hungry.
Henry: You're sure? That stuff comes back up pretty fast.
Lucy: Now that I'm in you're really gonna have to try harder to knock me off my game
Henry: You see our waitress over there. She wants to be an actress. She's got that air of entitlement mixed with desperation. She doesn't have the looks though. She doesn't even have the talent, but, like an old donkey she has been at it so long, she's not fit to try to do anything else. She lies to her mom. She's embarassed to tell her about losing the job for the big Palmolive commercial, but, fingers crossed, she's got an audition for Blockbuster Videos. She had an abortion once. She still cries about it sometimes eventhough she saved that thing from an agonizing life of eating leftover mashed potatoes and watching its mom lose jobs like Palmolive commercials. She's got about three ovarian eggs left.

In addition to being less interesting and much less attractive, you are also so much more pathetic.

You are not in.

and


to



Henry: I've spent my whole life... wanting something... and doing my very best not to find it. Never even going near the places it might be... And suddenly, I've got the goddamn thing practically chained around my neck.
Lucy: What are you talking about?
Henry: You. You. You're the, you're the... You're, you're- you're the goddamn thing. Ahhh, uh. I mean... You're, you're. I can't describe you... uhh, I don't, I don't write that kind of shit, I write... You know, the people who write, who write the real books, the love books, and the poems, and even those stupid little fucking novels with the hunky assholes on the cover...
Lucy: Stop...
Henry: You know it? You know what I'm talking about? You know - you're like Princess shit! You know? Fairytales. You know what I'm saying? The million guys are after and you're blinded by your beauty kind of shit. Real big stuff. You know, that just - even, we got the dick that kidnaps you and sticks you in a cave and you're guarded by a five-headed dragon, you know and the tales of your plight are spread throughout the land and all the guys go and put on their shoes so they can see what's up and none of them have the balls to save her except for me. I would go through anything... for you. And still, there I was looking for a way not to see it. Anything. Money...
Lucy: You stupid idiot.
Henry: Yeah.
Lucy: Yes.
Henry: Yeah... big fat stupid idiot.
Lucy: I hope you're better to the next one.
Henry: No - wait...
[he digs in his bag and decides not to give her the dedication to Simone, but grabs the pebble he had given her and then thrown back onto the beach and went back for later]
Henry: It was easy to find... it's the only one like it.
Lucy: You broke my heart, Henry. I don't think you can trust people. You always have to find something wrong. I'm just... I'm sorry. I'll miss you.
and later :)

Lucy: You'll never throw it away again?

No comments: